Monday, May 12, 2008

Please, say a prayer!

Today, I received a phone call that I knew would one day come, but have always dreaded since I moved away from Indiana. Earlier this evening, my Dad called to tell me that Grandpa has been admitted to the hospital. They do not know what is necessarily wrong with him, but they are keeping him for a few days so they can run tests. Let me back up and give you the prequel.
In 2003, my Grandpa was diagnosed with diabetes. After his diagnosis, he lost a lot of weight, but was riding a stationary bike and was up to a couple of miles a day. Unfortunately, within the past couple of years, he has not been doing so well. As of lately, within the past couple of months, he has been falling down. Fortunately, my grandma has always been able to call somebody and they would come and help get him up. A couple of weeks ago, his doctor told my Grandma that my Grandpa has had a couple of mini-strokes, one of which we already knew about, which could be causing him to fall down. He has been going to Physical Therapy, but today was the straw that broke the camel's back.
I spoke with my Grandma earlier this evening and she said he fell down again this morning, but this time, he had no idea where he was, and still doesn't. His doctor told her that it could be either Dementia or Alzheimer's. He also recommended for her to put him in a nursing home when he is discharged from the hospital because he is too much for her to take care of all by herself.
So, at this point, we really don't know what is going on, and probably won't know for a few days. However, I am asking that you all pray for my Grandpa and his health; pray for my Grandma to make the right decisions and to do the best she can for him; and pray for my family and for us to have strength for the both of them to help them through this difficult time/transition.
As I learn more, I will post, but it might be a few days.

Here is a picture of my Grandpa with me and three of his great grandchildren this past Thanksgiving.



Here is a picture from Thanksgiving 2006--four generations!

3 comments:

adam, elizabeth and connor said...

i am sooo sorry to hear about your grandpa - i will definitely keep him and your family in my thoughts and prayers

Robin said...

Brandy, if there is anything that you want me to take to the hospital "from you" before I leave on Thursday, please let me know...and of course, I will be praying for your whole family!

Lauren said...

We are so sorry to hear about your Grandpa. It sounds like things are being done to make sure he is taken care of though, and I hope that gives you more peace of mind. Let us know if there is anything we can do, and of course we will keep him and your family in our prayers. It was so good to see you guys this weekend too, for a short time! I love that we both have kids and they can hang out:) I am glad to have other special mothers like you in my life! Have fun with Robin tomorrow!!!