Monday, February 18, 2008

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!


Sorry, I have had that song stuck in my head ever since Thursday night when Jonathon and I saw Mary Poppins on Broadway! That's right, you read correctly. We went and saw Mary Poppins on Broadway. What an awesome show! The actors, singing, set, props, dancing, technology was so great! I could go on and on about the play, but it is better when you see it live; my words will not do the show justice.
Anyway, our Valentine's Day Weekend Getaway was great. However, we did miss Olivia terribly and I was excited to come home on Sunday and see her. Even though I got in late, 11:00 p.m. to be exact, she woke up when I went in to check on her and I was able to get a hug. I wanted to take her to bed with me but knew if I did that, neither one of us would get a good night's sleep. Oh, back to my trip...
Thursday night Jonathon totally surprised me and planned our whole evening. He found a really great restaurant called 44 and 10, Hell's Kitchen, basically it's address (it's located on 44th Street and 10th Avenue and was quite a walk from 50th and Park, where we stayed). Despite it's name, it was wonderful. We enjoyed every bit of food and drink. I actually found a wine I can drink, Moscato D'Asti. It is a dessert wine that is white and bubbly, and tastes like you are drinking really good white grape juice. After dinner, it was off to Broadway. Like I said before, the show was terrific. Afterwards, it was a mile trek back to our hotel where we both fell into bed because we were so exhausted.
On Friday, it was so nice to have the day to myself. I slept in and didn't get out of bed until noon; yep, that's right, noon. I got up, got ready, left the hotel at 1 p.m. and set off to Serendipity Cafe for lunch. I have to admit, eating at a restaurant by yourself is not an easy task. You have no one to bounce food ideas off of and no one to talk to when it takes your food 30 minutes to arrive. So, needless to say, even though the food was great, the company was not. By this time, it was close to 4 when I finished eating and window shopping and went back to the hotel to get ready for dinner. Jonathon picked me up and we went to Grand Central Station to try our luck at the Subway System. The first train that came was so crowded, we couldn't get on. We finally were able to hop on to the second train, barely, and made it down to Union Square to eat dinner. Union Square is neat because it is geared more towards the college age crowd since NYU is down there. After dinner, we decided to go back to Serendipity for dessert. We finally made it down there and enjoyed our Frozen Hot Chocolate and Can't Say No Sundae.
Saturday, Jonathon had to do some work in the morning so I got ready while he was gone. We braved the Subways again and headed down to Battery Park to go to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. If you ever get a chance to go to NYC, make sure you make it a point to go see the Statue of Liberty, totally worth it. However, make sure to go in the Spring, Summer or Fall, as going on a ferry in the Winter is just too darn cold. Despite freezing, we had a great time. For dinner we found a little hole in the wall restaurant and dined.
Sunday, we went and had brunch at a place called Alice's Tea Cup, and it is based on Alice In Wonderland, and is totally fabulous. Since Jonathon has been traveling, he makes it a point to try and find new restaurants and different types of restaurants while he is in the city, and this is one we will go back to over and over again. It is such a cute little cafe and has a wonderful selection of food and tea. Even though I am not a big hot tea lover, Sweet Tea or bust for me, I still enjoyed a cup, per our server's recommendation. Oh, I can still taste the sweetness of my delectable French Toast and the ripeness of my Strawberries. My Chocolate Chip and Coconut Scone was out of this world, especially with cream and raspberry jam.
Unfortunately, I cannot post any pictures of our trip because Jonathon still has the camera with him, as he is there until this Friday. As soon as he gets home, I promise I will upload them for all of you to enjoy.
Even though it was nice to have a Jonathon-and-Brandy-Weekend, we missed the snot out of our little girl and have decided we will not leave her for more than one night ever again.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

so glad to hear about your trip and that you had a fabulous time!! I can't wait to see the pictures:) Silas and I have thought about taking a vacation, and I don't think I will be able to go without the little guy for a while. If you have any good ideas on kid friendly places, I would love them:)

Robin said...

So glad that you are back! This post made me regret even more that we didn't get to go with you! Although after reading my post, you know that I am glad that we didn't book a flight to NYC since we would have had to miss it due to that stomach bug!
Sounds like you had an amazing time...I think you will change your mind down the road about the "not leaving Olivia for more than one night at a time...ever"!
Hahahahaha