Saturday, February 2, 2008

Afraid of the Doctor

Olivia has been afraid of the doctor since around 9 months and I cannot figure out why. I guess it is because she doesn't see Dr. Herrera that often, but still, why is she afraid?
She cries when we put her on the scale to get her weight; she cries when they take her temperature, she cries when the doctor listens to her breathe; she just cries the whole time.
I am wondering if any of you have suggestions to make this an easier trip. We go to the doctor again on the 19th for her 18-month appointment...I know, I know, she will be almost 19 months at that point, but I honestly forgot to book her appointment the last time we were there and that is the earliest I could get her in. I have heard to go out and buy a Fisher Price/Playskool medical kit and use it at home and tell her what it does so that when she goes to the doctor, she will know what they are doing, but I don't know if that is a little much. I have also heard to take a baby doll with you and have the doctor examine the baby doll and then the kid, but I am not sure she will like that either. I am open to any ideas or suggestions to make it easier for not only me, but for her as well.
This whole post started because I had to take her to the doctor on Thursday for a severe diaper rash/yeast infection. We have been battling this for about 2 weeks; we would get it cleared up, but it kept coming back. Anyway, she cried the entire time and I would really like to make this such an easier event for both of us, but especially for her, so I am open to any suggestions.

2 comments:

Robin said...

I don't have any "great suggestion", but I wanted you to know that Peyton has acted this way since her 1 yr appt until the last time we were at the dr. She would actually start the whining when the nurse opened the door and called our name to go back! HOWEVER, the last time we had to take Gavin, she actually wanted Dr Beahm to listen to her heart and look in her ears and it wasn't even her appt! My dr says that that is very natural behavior for a child, someone coming at them with "tools" and poking and prodding at them. Also, O may be associated them with her shots...
Anyway, I guess what I am saying is that it may just take time! My dr likes it when they are crying because he can hear their lungs better and see down their throat, but I know you don't want Olivia to be unhappy with the experience either...
Just a few thoughts!

Robin said...

I forgot to suggest this, but have you asked your dr about probiotics? They replace the good bacteria in the body...part of what helps prevent agains a yeast infection. Yogurt has a little bit in them, but we have started giving the kids probiotics and it has really help Peyton with her digestion and stuff...just a thought!