Saturday, February 23, 2008

The Stats Are In...





Earlier this week, Olivia had her 18-month well check-up. Here are her stats:

Height: 31 3/4" (25-50%)
Weight: 20 Pounds 8 Ounces (5%)
Head: 46 Centimeters (25%)

I know you are probably thinking she is in the low percentile for pretty much everything, and she is, but she is perfectly normal and she is going up on her chart. Olivia has always been in the 25th percentile for every thing and around 9 months, she paid a visit to the 5th percentile for her weight and has liked visiting it so much, she has decided to make it permanent. Anyway, she is perfectly normal and thriving.
Our doctor was pleased with everything but the speech. Olivia says 8 words and signs 7-8 words. Our pediatrician wants us to set a goal of one new word every two weeks. As my friend Robin knows, I have been fretting about this, and everything else, for quite some time. How do you make a child speak who doesn't want to? Jonathon and I are constantly talking to her and telling her what things are and asking her to repeat it back, and she just looks at us like we are silly. She can put two words together, like: thank you and all gone.
Sorry, I am at work and it is time to go...I will finish this blog later :)
Ok, I am back. Sorry about that; I thought I had more time than I actually did.
Anyway, my point is, Olivia is doing great and growing and learning by leaps and bounds. Even though the growth chart does not show her physically growing, she really is. She is eating me out of a house and home; I guess she has inherited the fast metabolism from Jonathon's side of the family. Jonathon used to be skinny before he had cancer, but he is working on it. His mom always tells me how when he was a kid, she would buy him jeans in his size plus slim and they would practically fall off of his waist. So, with that said, she just takes after her Daddy.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Im not sure if this makes you feel better, but I had my doctor explain it to me this way. The range or percentiles they give for children are all "normal", so if your child falls anywhere between 0 and 100, they are in the "normal" range. We just start comparing our children to other's within that range, but they are all still normal. Even if they go above or below the range, that does not necessarily mean anything is wrong. My niece was off the charts in height or weight at one point, but as she got older she went back into the normal range. Its fine!!! She is perfect the way she is:)
I dont have any advice on the talking issue, since we arent to that stage yet with our own. It sounds like you are doing what you can for her, and seeking help from the doctors. I will let you know if there is anything I hear that may be helpful for you.
DO you have any recent pictures of Olivia to post?? I want to see her!!!